Monday, June 29, 2009

DSM-V Controversies: A Commentary from Dr Allen Frances

Chair of DSM-IV Task Force, Dr Allen Frances, has written a commentary, "A Warning Sign on the Road to DSM-V: Beware of Its Unintended Consequences." Here's an excerpt:

"We should begin with full disclosure. As head of the DSM-IV Task Force, I established strict guidelines to ensure that changes from DSM-III-R to DSM-IV would be few and well supported by empirical data. Please keep this history in mind as you read my numerous criticisms of the current DSM-V process. It is reasonable for you to wonder whether I have an inherently conservative bias or am protecting my own DSM-IV baby. I feel sure that I am identifying grave problems in the DSM-V goals, methods, and products, but it is for the reader to judge my objectivity."


To read the rest of the article, click here. PT will be featuring a question and answer from Dr Frances all week on the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment